"Which Jesus do you follow? Which Jesus do you serve?"I began to search out the answer to "Which Jesus..?", and here is where I have come to so far.
The Jesus I follow...
- was "there" before the Earth even had a name (John 1:1-3, Colossians 1:15-16)
- camped out on his zero'th birthday (Luke 2:1-7)
- demonstrated the indwelling of the Spirit at 12 years old (Luke 2:41-50)
- knew the meaning of hard work (Mark 6:3)
- was skilled in wilderness survival (Luke 4:1-2)
- spoke truth, not platitudes (Luke 4:20-27, Matthew 5,6,7)
- understood that true leaders must begin with servitude (John 13:3-8)
- was the world's greatest fisherman (Luke 5:1-11, John 21:1-13)
- was worthy of being followed (John 1:35-51, Matthew 4:18-22, 9:9)
- spoke with authority (Mark 5:1-20)
- knew how to delegate (Matthew 10:1, Matthew 28:16-20, Acts 1:8)
- understood what real pressure means (Luke 12:50, Matthew 12:36-42))
- stood up for what is right and true (Luke 19:45-46, Matthew 21:12-13)
- never needed duct tape (Colossians 1:17)
- knows how to make an entrance (I Thessalonians 4:16-18, Revelation19:11-16)
- will win the final battle! (Revelation 19:19-20:10)
But my Jesus is not the Jesus of the crucifix, a display of utter defeat at the hands of murderers. My Jesus is the Jesus of the empty tomb, the Jesus of the Emmaus Road, the Jesus who stirred such devotion in Peter that he dove into the water and swam to shore just to reach the risen Lord sooner. My Jesus calls me, "Brother!" My Jesus was a man's man.
My Jesus is triumphant, glorified....and returning.